Friday, December 02, 2005

Oh Dustbin I am crazy for u

“Dear Dustbin, I had been dreaming about u for the past 3 weeks. U distract me a lot. I had been waiting for so long because I didn’t know how to express my deepest feelings for u. I am madly in love with u. Dustbin please accept my proposal. I will die if u reject. I am so crazy for u.”

This was my first proposal for love in my life. It happened during my first year of undergrad. Yes in a Govt. college ragging goes out of control. Ragging – a fun game for the seniors but a nightmare for freshmen. In college campus ragging is between the opposite sex and in hostel it is between the same sex, so that every senior gets a chance to rag. (What an idea)

“Among we three who looks really handsome? Tell us.” One among a gang of three guys sitting on the wall asked me. (All the three of u look equally horrible and am I here to pick the best of rotten? What a plight?) Then I decided to act really smart, pointing at the guy who asked me this question I said “ It is u anna (brother) no doubt about it.” The other two guys did have lots of fun afterwards.

I was also asked to do crazy things such as measuring the length of a 3m long grill with a pen cap. Then sing the song “O Maria” like this “A Maria then B Maria" and so on. Among girls I was the top most target because they felt I hold my head high while walking. (Dumb reason? They just say that!!)

The guys were in a bad shape too. I saw them coming to college in a dothi, white shirt and yellow bag (manja pai) for carrying books. I was reminded of Vaanavaraayan (Rajinikanth in ejamaan) on seeing them. They were also made to go on a frog race all around the campus. (poor guys)

Ragging really made us feel embarrassed. But now when I think back I feel, ohh I could never do such crazy things again in my life. I just laugh at those times. The most ragged girl (me) got the greatest number of friends ultimately. Wow that's the advantage.

Things were even more exciting when we became the seniors. We took care that our juniors enjoyed the joke and did not cry. I ragged a girl like this.

Me: What is ur name
Girl: Shankari
Me: u from?
Girl: Sivakasi
Me: Does ur family own a cracker shop?
Girl: yah we do. We specialize on rockets.
Me: Ohh just like Abdul Kalam? Now start the count down to launch a rocket to moon.

It ultimately became a kind of inheritance. I believe in Govt. colleges it only increases year after year. As long as things don’t go really serious ragging is fun. Most of my seniors who are my friends are the ones who had badly ragged me. Best way to face it is “TAKE IT EASY ….KOOL.” Soon u will enjoy!!!

10 Comments:

Blogger Harish Suryanarayana said...

Well , i had no unpleasant ragging experience actually .. It basically involved three seniors trying to smart talk me and i gave them some fun . But it could be really bad . If there is a limit and if it is about knowing the freshie , then it would be okay .

12/03/2005 12:17:00 AM  
Blogger Leon said...

Well.. I'm glad you had fun and all that.. but seriously..

If seniors have to know freshers there are a million ways they could go about it without resorting to ragging. Have a heart to heart chat with them about college life. Offer help with problems they are facing (academic-related if on campus and living-related if in the hostel)

If you say ragging is just a fun way of doing the same things then why not rag your classmates or your seniors. What gives them the exclusive right to rag? The fact that they were born a year or two earlier?

12/03/2005 01:01:00 AM  
Blogger Camphor said...

*g*
We have a lot in common. I was not the most ragged girl on campus, but came close. Third most ragged, I think, becuase, I have "an attitude" problem. People still think that, but what the hey. Since when did that start to matter?

Most of the time, the ragging wasn't even ragging. A couple of times I got it bad - like say at the freshers. But I learnt to say "no" starting then, so I guess it was a good thing.

Leon ~ We do rag our classmates and seniors. It's called teasing in that case.
No one with any sense will take ragging beyond teasing, and even that carefully becuase most freshies are unused to it.
It's a good thing, and I'm sure of it.

12/03/2005 03:57:00 AM  
Blogger the Monk said...

hmmm...we had quite an experience...ragging in our college isn't merely an excuse for the seniors to have fun (though that is always there)...it is a very serious thing here...and it goes on well into the 2nd semester...but in the end, the bond that is formed is something else...i'll do a post abt it soon...

12/03/2005 11:09:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

@harish
yes i guess most of the seniors do not actually want to take ragging seriously. In fact they took care not to make some delicate darlings cry.

12/03/2005 12:12:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

@Leon
I think u had never been ragged or u had some dumb experience. Ragging goes on for maximum of one month. Then we have a freshers party where we get free food and heart to heart chat with the seniors. Academic help was also offered. i never bought books when I was in college.
Ragging is just to get the new guys away from shyness. Except for people like u I think most of us will get bored if seniors talk about academics in the very first week.
As camphor says teasing goes on among all of us even after finishing the degree.
During farewell we did rag our seniors. we made them do every damn thing on the stage. Of course same goes with our juniors.
Ask anyone who did lots of silly things while ragging, I bet he/she will be having the maximum number of friends.
It is just for a few weeks breaking the ice, shyness and fear. Take it easy. when i think back i am laughing.

12/03/2005 12:22:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

@Camphor
We must have a chat. i too think we have lots in common

12/03/2005 12:24:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

@Monk
Waiting for ur post.....

12/03/2005 12:30:00 PM  
Blogger Camphor said...

Oh no. You've already written, Monk is going to write. That scratches out my plan to write about ragging - at least as of now.

12/03/2005 07:52:00 PM  
Blogger Leon said...

You're right in saying that I have never been ragged. I refused to do the smallest possible thing..

From all the comments here.. My conclusion is.. The term 'ragging' should be changed to 'ice-breaking' which sounds infinitely more appropriate.. :-)

12/04/2005 04:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home