Wednesday, December 07, 2005

The Wild Ones

“Every morning in Africa a deer wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed.
Every morning a lion wakes up. It knows that it must run faster than the slowest deer or it will starve to death.
It does not matter if you are a lion or a deer. When the sun comes up you’d better be running.”

This is a quote from a poster in my room. Every person who had come to my room admired it. It has a beautiful picture of two lions and a deer.

I had gone to every good place like Archies, Connections and even Spencers for getting a poster with good quotes and wild animals. I managed to get this only in T. Nagar platform shop. (posters are much better there!)

I always had passion for wild animals. National Geographic is one of my favorite channels. This I had developed from my childhood. Many moral stories were associated with animals. There is always a comparison of a man’s personality with animals. I used to wonder why. Some examples are “pride of a lion”, “fast as a deer”, “intelligent as a hare”, “cunning as a fox” etc.

Are foxes cunning? They eat the remains. They need not be cunning to get that food. I still don’t understand why they are considered cunning. I also have no idea if hares are intelligent creatures. Well deer are fast. No doubt about it. Coming to lions so called “The King of the Forest”, I think they don’t deserve to be called as the kings. I find them lazy and boring. Noble? Ohh they fight like crazy. I feel they are not intelligent enough to be called kings.

My favorite animals are the elephants and tigers. Elephant is a vegetarian animal but stronger than many wild animals. I admire the soft but strong nature of elephants. Tigers, I feel are much more intelligent than lions. Tiger is called “The Queen of the forest” (Shouldn’t it be tigress? No I didn’t do research on that.) Their hunting habits are much more efficient than lions. And also their power of sensation. I wonder then why aren’t tigers the king? Well maybe because everyone accepts that females are the intelligent species!! (Sorry guys.)

If you find this post really boring I am sorry about that. I couldn’t spend much time on this but still I wanted to write. Let me include a very rare picture of 20 tigers together to do some amount of justice to this post.
It is a rare phenomenon to see 20 tigers together. Check it out!







Sorry. I didn't take this pic.

17 Comments:

Blogger Harish Suryanarayana said...

Pottiyaa blade !!!! Did not expect it at all :)

12/07/2005 10:37:00 PM  
Blogger Camphor said...

That twenty tigers.. *dies* Where does one get ideas like that?

//When the sun comes up you’d better be running.
Ah that would explain why I'm getting nowhere. I am a strong believer in sleep-though the morning. :)

12/08/2005 01:05:00 AM  
Blogger the Monk said...

i dunno...what abt monkeys?where do they figure in ur hierarchy?and that 20 tigers thing..maybe u should join OUCH....

12/08/2005 08:06:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

@harish
Suddenly my mind goes crazy...heheee

12/08/2005 12:08:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

@ Camphor
I envy u camphor. I can't get up late as I have classes at 8:00am (sob).

12/08/2005 12:12:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

@Monk
Monkeys.. Ohh we have descended from them. Not a very differnt race.
b/w What is OUCH. I have not heard of it?

12/08/2005 12:16:00 PM  
Blogger Leon said...

(suspiciously) Does my name have anything to do with your err.. dislike for lions?.. :p.

By the way.. 'brave as a lion' is more common than 'pride of a lion'.. :p

12/08/2005 02:34:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Lions never amused me right from my childhood and ur name err.. forget it dude.
And I guess every carnivore is brave. So I strongly disagree with that statement too.

12/08/2005 02:45:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like elephants too, but for different reasons - I'm envious of their large capacity to EAT!

And once you start using vim, MS Word is going to suck bigtime :p

12/10/2005 09:02:00 AM  
Blogger navin said...

I like the semi-domestic ones like the crow :)...miss them here though..I guess to know the real facts about animals we need to look at the chinese zodiac, the jataka tales or the kaka vadiya suttukinu pona kathai and many more grandma stories..."Every Morning I wake up in America..I just hit the snooze button in my alarm and sleep :)"

12/11/2005 10:15:00 PM  
Blogger THE DEVIL said...

hey.. nice blog! 20 tigers was gud and inspiring quote!!

12/11/2005 10:48:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

@Shrikanth
Do u envy their capacity?
@Navin
Sure let me talk about jataka tales soon. Crows ohh I never thought about them..
@Devil
Thanks

12/12/2005 02:59:00 AM  
Blogger The optimist from utopia said...

Liked ur tag post much better than this one.. But loved the quotes.. very true.
20 tigers?? arukkadhe maa..

12/14/2005 04:52:00 AM  
Blogger Dinesh Babuji said...

LOL @ 20 tigers!

12/14/2005 11:21:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

@optimist
20 tigers r really rare :p
@Dinesh
Thanks.

12/14/2005 11:30:00 AM  
Blogger freak of mind said...

hey there i just happen to stumble on ur blog by chance.sure shud consider urself good if not the best, thats a nice piece of an article.
One parallel thought,it happened during my school days in Chennai.guess it was fifth or sixth std, my english teacher was very religiously trying to inject a lot of morals??? She said EARLY BIRD CATCHES THE WORM.I think she was trying to emphasise some nobler ideas for all of us in the class but for me, for i was there standing and asked innocently WHAT ABOUT THE EARLY WORM DID IT NOT DIE BECAUSE IT GOT UP VERY EARLY?
Next thing i knew was that i standing out of the class for the rest of the day.My parents were asked to come and meet her and what not of a drama!!!
Are the teachers still the same way? Teachers! who claim to be teachers.Not trying to deviate even an iota from syllabus.The actual teachers are the nature around us ... the heavy breathing flora and the life teaching fauna.Teach ? R U crazy they dont even speak a language? correct. try opening ur eyes and ears in ur subtler nature.
even today i strongly believe that what i asked then was more a decent thought of inquistiveness attached with that age than that of delibrate nuisance.
Nothing specific for quoting this only another "animal 2 animal survival" kinda stuff.

1/06/2005 Edit Randomly organised reflections
freak of mind View Delete

12/14/2005 01:28:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

@Freak
Glad that u understood what I wanted to convey.

12/15/2005 10:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home