Friday, March 17, 2006

Political views

I was asking my friend back home what was happening in Tamil Nadu. He talked about the rains and then began “u know Vijayakanth is into politics”. I made fun asking “Is he planning to dance in the parliament wearing all cranky costumes?” He replied “Arey people here believe that he would do something really great if he becomes our chief minister. People are dumb here. Tamil Nadu will never prosper with people having this kind of attitude.” I resented saying, “Don’t just say people are dumb. People are not educated. So they just go by fantasies. Developed countries have educated people and so they vote wisely.” He replied back saying “So u mean to say education makes the difference right? I don’t believe in majority basis. Majority of the people are dumb. Voting rights must be given to people with at least common sense.” I couldn’t say anything but I simply said, “Well, that may not be fair. But your suggestion sounds good. We would have never had film stars into politics like MGR or Jayalalitha. Let us just hope people get educated soon.”

Next day I had a conversation with an American, a sensitive topic to speak with Americans – about the Iraq war. I expressed my opinion that the war is unnecessary. He smiled and asked, “What do u think is a bigger lie Vibha? I didn’t have affair with that woman or Sadam has weapons of mass destruction, which costed the lives of millions of people?” I asked back “u mean to say that ur president is not efficient enough? Majority of Americans seem to like him though.” This American replied back “Majority are the dumb ones.” I pondered, “ People here are pretty much well educated and quiet aware of things going on inside the country.” He gave a big laugh and showed some newspaper clippings that contained some statements made by George W. Bush.
"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it."
"The vast majority of our imports come from outside the country."
"Quite frankly, teachers are the only profession that teach our children."
"It's time for the human race to enter the solar system."

That American asked me “Now what do u think?” I replied “ Maybe u r right.” I was not actually thinking of the American president. I was more worried about Vijayakanth and my beloved state Tamil Nadu.

11 Comments:

Blogger Harish Suryanarayana said...

LOL :) :) . I abhor politics . Somehow , tweaks me on the wrong side.

3/17/2006 10:18:00 AM  
Blogger the Monk said...

hey, from what my cousin in the US tells me, nobody thought Bush would be this bad when they voted him in...but why they voted him back in defeats me...

3/18/2006 01:15:00 AM  
Blogger navin said...

Hey I do not totally agree here, vijayakanth is far better when it comes to politics, he sucks as an actor...but as far as doing something good for the people he atleast tries...Politics in Tamil Nadu is like you always vote for the smaller thief, In anyway even if he comes up as CM which is a rare possibility, he will still be a lesser thief than Ms.J...In any case I remain happy by comparing TNs CMs to Bihar, Karnataka and lots of other states...Your american friend has made a very good point no matter how educated politicians are they are just elected thieves....and always try to vote for the person who is not that intelligent enough to loot more..

3/19/2006 03:01:00 AM  
Blogger Vikas said...

Education gives a person knowledge, not wisdom.

3/19/2006 06:58:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

@harish
ohh no..
@monk
well actually majority of the people like him. true.
@navin
I dont support Jayalalitha or anyone. People who are heros or heroines in the stage are not always real life heros/heroines. People are not wise enough to understand that, no matter how educated they are. Looting is openly done by any minister (educated or not) cos he has intelligent people around him to advice on that.
@man in the box
yes that is the point i wanted to say

3/21/2006 02:42:00 PM  
Blogger Incognito said...

I heard that American Paper carries content that are 95% based on local news. The international news is reduced to a minimal. I had visited few American-blogs. Most of them had disgust towards Bush. So then the obvious question- Why was he elected the second time. They say, Republican States are comparitively more.

Films & Politics have always been linked together. It will not be surprising if he wins. Here, people choose the lesser wrong-foer. More like, better-of-the-worst-category. And people here will definitely want some new face, considering the post has been juggling inbetween two people.

the man in the box : very apt.

3/22/2006 03:43:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ur Political views are interesting. But Vijayakanth must be given a chance b'fore U can comment on him. He has proved himself worthy of being CM thro' his charity works and his unique way of political campaining.

Some correction regarding Bush's comments. It was not passed by him.

"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it."
- Al Gore, Vice President

"The vast majority of our imports come from outside the country."
-Keppel Enderbery

No idea abt the other comments.

Wen U want to make fun of a person...U take every opportunity. No matter if that person has really done that. That is the case here...

3/23/2006 12:35:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

@chris
People in Tamil Nadu always had a habit of hero worship, be it Rajinikanth, MGR or Jayalalitha. The heroism which could be exibited on the stage cannot always be done in real life. I wanted to make this point clear. Why does he want to do charity works for the past few years only?
Regarding the statements, as I mentioned an American friend of mine gave them to me. Forgive me if that is a mistake.

3/23/2006 06:50:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

@chris
http://www.mindfully.org/Reform/Bush-Quotes-ngin.htm
check this out

3/23/2006 06:59:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree actors cannot always exhibit heroism on real life. But remember MGR was one of the best CM tamilnadu has ever produced. And if U say people of TN are dumb or illiterate then Rajnikanth shouldn't have got a shot on the arm when he opted to support BJP in the last election. Ramadoss won all his consituency, who is supposed to be Rajnikanth's rival in all ways of life.
No matter who u r actor, engineer, doctor.. but it is sense of feeling towards the fellow people and patriotism thats necessary to lead the country.

Regarding Bush's comments everyone has his own proof. Its just to make fun of the most hated person in the world..

3/23/2006 10:57:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

@chris
I visited a few villages around Madurai. I had to collect some blood samples for my project. I had a chance to interact with those villagers at that time. I was shocked to find there were (and are) people who still believe MGR is alive. They said they would vote for Rettai ilai as they were MGR fans. When I mentioned he is dead, they said he is a man beyond death!!!!
I understood why Jayalalitha won the elections inspite of the exposure of her looting. I came to a conclusion that illiterate people cannot vote wisely. But my american friend pointed out that I am wrong.
As u say, Bush is the most hated person..now why did he win the election the second time? Americans showed violent response when they came to know the treatment recieved by the prisoners of war in Iraq. Everyone knew Iraq didnt have nuclear weapons. So why the hell did they vote for him again?
ps: The statement about imports was made by Bush when he was talking about oil imports last November. It had been published in the New York times.
One more website
http://dumbpresident.com

3/23/2006 01:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home